There will come a time where you would want to troubleshoot network issues like WCF, browser, push notification or any type of network traffic you can think of in Windows Phone 7 emulator. And there are tools like Fiddler and Wireshark for this. This blog I am going to talk about more of Microsoft solution using Microsoft Network Monitoring 3.4
There are couple of reason why I like this tool:
1) It is simpler to use and gives just more then web traffics
2) Very easy to filter traffics based on the application.
Once you downloaded the Network Monitoring tool follow the instruction below
0) Have your Windows Phone 7 emulator ready to go
1) Start Microsoft Network Monitoring
2) Click on New Capture
3) Click on Start
4) For my test case I simply browsed to www.toetapz.com and I paused the network monitoring tool and final view is shown below. There is XDE.EXE which is your Windows Phone 7 emulator!
Now to help you understand and search what is going on you can download tools to analyze the data http://nmexperts.codeplex.com/
This is definitely alternative that gives you very rich information.
Try out http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/tcpanalyzer/ that can analyze your .cap (network traffic capture) file that is useful for analyzing the performance of say your WCF service!